About this Project
Operational Plan: 2013 - 2014
Building on the success of cooperative work on native grasslands in 2011–2012, this project improved native grasslands and ranch livelihoods through the implementation of beneficial management projects on 21 ranches and ejidos on native grasslands. It also disseminated a social marketing package that included training material on the value of grasslands and ranching to society, an online tool with over a hundred innovative practices for grassland management, and a set of infographics on North America’s beef cattle industries, beef cattle trade and grasslands.
- Twenty-one ranch pilot projects demonstrating economic and ecological benefits of grassland management techniques shared with over five hundred stakeholders through conferences, workshops, range schools and ranch tours across North America, and included as case studies in an online tool
- Statistics on the North American beef cattle industries, beef cattle trade and grasslands disseminated as a series of infographics that raise awareness about the continentally integrated beef cattle market and its role in native grassland conservation.
- Expanded the North American Grasslands Alliance through a trinational ranch tour and meeting of grassland landowners and managers, and rangeland and government experts to share evidence-based beneficial practices for grasslands conservation and sustainable use.
- Officially launched the trilingual Grasslands Beneficial Management Practices Online Tool in May 2014, featuring over one hundred resources, case studies, and videos from ranchers,
conservation organizations, and government and academic bodies in Canada, Mexico, and the United States
- Summary case studies from the ranch pilot projects integrated into the online tool
- A social marketing package, including training material and a set of infographics on the beef cattle industries, beef cattle trade and grasslands of North America
- A trinational ranch tour and meeting featuring CEC-supported ranch pilot projects
- Fourteen outreach events by regional partners
The experience will continue to be shared with other ranchers and their partners through additional ranch tours, conferences, and the Grasslands Beneficial Management Practices Online Tool.