Summary of the matter addressed in the submission:
The Submitter asserted that the governments of Canada and Alberta have failed to effectively enforce their environmental laws resulting in the pollution of specified wetland areas which impacts on the habitat of fish and migratory birds.
Names and citations of the environmental laws in question:
1. Fisheries Act, R.C.S., c. F-14, a. 35, 36 and 38;
2. Department of Environment Act, R.S.A. 1980, c. D-19, a.7, 16 and 17;
3. Clean Water Act, R.S.A. 1980, c. C-13, a. 3, 4 and 17;
4. Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, S.A. 1992, c. E-13.3, as modified by part 4, divisions 1 and 2, and part 10;
5. Waste Water and Storm Drainage Regulation, Alberta Regulation 199/93 as modified by Alta. Reg. 249/93
The Secretariat received a submission and began a preliminary analysis of it under the guidelines.
Acknowledgement - Communication to Submitter(s) authored by Secretariat on 28/03/1996
Submission - Submission authored by Submitter(s) on 20/03/1996
The Secretariat began reviewing the submission under Article 14(1)
The Secretariat determined that the submission met the Article 14(1) criteria and the Secretariat began considering whether to request a response from the concerned government Party.
Determination - Secretariat Determination under Article 14 (1) authored by Secretariat on 17/04/1997
The Secretariat determined not to request a response from the concerned government Party. Under guideline 8.1, the process was therefore terminated.
Determination - Secretariat Determination under Article 14(2) authored by Secretariat on 28/05/1996