Joint Public Advisory Committee Session No. 97-01
The Chair reported on recent and future activities:
- On 19-20 March a public consultation was convened in Mexico City. A final report on the public consultation will be submitted to the Council after its June meeting.
- On 24 January the Chair participated (as JPAC Chair) in a meeting held in Ottawa with the Alternate Representatives and members of the Secretariat to exchange points of view on several
- In addition, the Chair attended two other meetings of the Alternate Representatives. The first meeting was held in December 1996, and the second meeting took the form of a conference call
on 21 February. Both meetings addressed, among other things, the 1997 CEC program and budget.
- The next meeting with the Alternate Representatives will be held 16-17 April in Montreal.
- The two remaining public consultations will be held in Vancouver 14-15 May and in a U.S. location to be specified 11-12 June. The latter meeting will immediately precede the Council’s annual session.
Finally, the Chair reported that three JPAC members–María Cristina Castro, Jacques Gérin, and Jon Plaut–had been appointed to a subcommittee that was given the mandate to review the planned evaluation of the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) in preparation for a meeting to be conducted by the CEC Secretariat on 18-19 April in Montreal.
Head of Advisory Groups and Private Sector Engagement